John XXIII College has rooms to suit many room set-up styles, facilities and menus to suit most budgets and needs. College staff will assist you in making the arrangements to host a successful conference, meeting, seminar, workshop or team-building and training day.
Rooms available for use/hire are:
- Saint’s Common Room
- Roncalli Collegians’ Room (December & January only)
- Junior Common Room (December & January only)
- Dining Hall
- St. John the Evangelist Chapel
Saint’s Common Room
With its 10 seat oval oak boardroom table, plush leather recliners, appropriately stocked bar and balcony overlooking the gardens of the ANU, the Saint’s Common Room(SCR) is perfect for hosting small gatherings of a more intimate nature.
The historic Saint’s Common Room (SCR) is available for functions looking for:
- Executive style meetings requiring that extra level of elegance for up to 10 attendees;
- Cocktail style events for up to 40 attendees;
- U-Style setup for up to 20 attendees with a whiteboard & lectern for speaker;
- Classroom style setup for up to 25 attendees.
The room is also suitable for small presentations, with a TV screen suitable for the use of DVD/Video and CD formats.
The SCR facilities include:
- A fully stocked bar area (upon request);
- Reclining leather sofas;
- A balcony overlooking the ANU Campus & Canberra City;
- An oak board style table;
- Wireless Internet Access;
- Fridge, microwave & tea/coffee bar.
Roncalli Collegians’ Room (December & January only)
The Roncalli Collegians’ Room is named for the patron of the College, Angelo Roncalli, the Good Pope John XXIII after whom the College was named in 1967. The Roncalli Room is suitable for larger group gatherings. During the Academic Period, the Roncalli Room is the social and collegial hub of senior students who reside at the College.
The Roncalli Collegians’ room is equipped with:
- Lounges, recliners, TV & tables;
- Audio visual equipment;
- Data projector;
- Projector screen;
The presentation capabilities of this room are aided by a lectern and whiteboard, and are complemented by kitchenette facilities and an inviting fire place for the colder winter months.
The Junior Common Room (December & January only)
This communal area is available to all conference guests of the College in December and January. It is the ideal place to relax and unwind after a productive day. Open 24 hours a day, this room boasts:
- Two Large LCD Screens with DVD Player & IPTV (70+ channels);
- Leather sofas, easy chairs & card tables;
- Table tennis;
- Foosball table;
- Pool table;
- Café & dining booths;
- Wireless internet access;
- Fridge, microwave & 24Hr tea/coffee bar.
Available to Conference guests upon the request of the Conference Organiser/Group, the Tavern can cater for functions and offers:
- A full range of savoury & confectionary products;
- Soft drinks, fruit juices & milkshakes (all prices subsidized by the College);
- A full range of alcoholic beverages;
- Dart Board;
- A 130cm Rear Projection Television with Foxtel & IPTV;
- Large leather sofas, easy chairs, bar stools & drinks tables.
Dining Room & Alfresco Dining Area
As one of only four catered colleges on the ANU Campus, John XXIII College provides some of the best cuisine available on campus. Contemporarily appointed, the Dining Room accommodates up to 300 people. Our French, Vietnamese, Indian, Philippino and Australian Chefs are capable of producing the finest brassiere style and 3 course meals. The John XXIII College Dining Room is the perfect caterer for both large and small group functions.
Located adjacent to the Dining Hall, the outdoor seating area is open at all times and provides an alternative dining area for all meal times. The Alfresco Dining Area has:
- Wireless internet access;
- BBQ available for resident use.
St. John the Evangelist Chapel
At the architectural and spiritual heart of John XXIII College stands the St. John the Evangelist Chapel. The Chapel, with seating for 400, is set apart from the business of College for the peace and spiritual care of the Colleges’ members.
The chapel is divided into two main parts – The main or large chapel which has seating for over 400 people, is a beautiful peaceful space with excellent acoustics, confessional booths and a large pipe organ. The organ at John XXIII College was built in 1989 by the Melbourne based firm of George Fincham & Sons (founded 1862, closed 2006). It is comprised of two manuals and pedals, with a total of 15 speaking stops. The key and stop action is mechanical, as are the inter-departmental couplers. There are a total of 736 pipes. The casework is manufactured of Tasmanian Oak, matching the Chapel’s interior furnishings. The facade pipes are of contrasting burnished copper. The Chapel’s beautifully restored vintage pipe organ is the pride of the Chapel and the College. Restored in 2012 the organ is often played by Canberran musicians and organ students, enjoying the opportunity to hear its ethereal tones.
The main chapel is only open during services or functions.
The side or small chapel is a place for quiet reflection and is open 24 hours per day 7 days per week to both residents and the general public.
The Chapel is available for weddings, memorial services, concerts, and other functions upon request with approval from the College Chaplin, Father Laurie Foote.