Just as John XXIII College aims to maintain an inclusive, enthusiastic and vibrant community, we are equally as committed to the protection of the environment and meeting our sustainability goals. Over the course of the last 12 months, the college has implemented a range of new initiatives and structures that help us to mitigate our carbon footprint and encourage positive environmental action amongst residents.
The College welcomed a student initiative and created the Environment Officer portfolio in 2018. The role became a resident-elected position in 2019 . This student is responsible for organising events and initiatives, being the voice of residents’ environmental concerns, and ensuring that the daily running of the college meets our environmental standards. It is also a fantastic way for those with a passion for the environment to have a say in college activities and promote sustainable action among residents.
Some of J23’s Environmental initiatives include:
- As a catered college, residents voted to implement a meat-free meal time on Saturdays at lunch to help alleviate the carbon emissions associated with agricultural farming. This will help each individual resident lighten their carbon footprint by nearly a tonne over the course of the year.
- Some communal rooms have recently had installed sensor-activated lighting to prevent lights being left on for extended periods of time.
- The J23 kitchen has an extensive recycling program, including soft-plastic recycling, and participation in the ACT Return-It Scheme that helps fund other environmental projects.
- Over the course of the past 12 months, the college board has been in conversation over the installation of solar panels.
- Each year, the environment officer runs Earth Hour, Earth Day and Clean Up Australia Day events, as well as contingents to climate strikes for those that are interested. The residents that participated in
- Clean Up Australia Day 2020 collected over 66kg worth of rubbish around Lake Burley-Griffin in under an hour.
Going forward, J23 is excited about the prospect of increasingly bettering our dedication to sustainability. With ideas and passion stemming from our very own residential community, Johns prides itself on ongoing conscientious and positive action regarding the environment.