Life At Johns
Life at Johns provides Social, Sporting, Cultural/Arts, Spiritual, Community Service & Employment Opportunities for its residents.
Johns XXIII College provides a rich social environment for its residents encouraging them to experience life beyond their University degree through many social events including:
- Formal Dinners;
- Themed Nights;
- Café Afternoons;
- Film Nights;
- Music in the Courtyard;
- International Cuisine Nights;
- Annual College Ball;
- Trivia Nights;
- Inter-corridor Events;
- Evening gatherings at the Tavern for snacks, drinks and a catch up;
- Week Long Events – O-Week, Bush Week, Multicultural Week & John’s Week;
- Senior Resident & Academic Advisor Portfolio Events (guest speakers, lectures, seminars, presentations, etc.).
John XXIII College competes against the other ANU Colleges, Halls & Lodges in the Inter-Hall Sports Shield, which the college has won for the 19 of the last 20 years. While Johns is therefore the premier sporting college at the ANU, its primary sporting aim is to maximise the participation and enjoyment of its residents through catering to any level of sporting ability. Johns enters both male and female teams in the following sports:
- Inward Bound
- Touch Football
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Road Relay
- Table Tennis
One of the best things about life at John’s is that everyone has the opportunity to participate, player and supporter alike.
If you want to try something competitive and extreme, see the previous Inward Bound here:
Johns prides itself on its artistic endeavours and the multi-talented nature of its residents. Each year the College participates in the following activities:
- College Play – Organised and presented each year entirely by College residents. Plays have included Leading Ladies (2018), Rumours (2017), Drop Dead (2016), Freud Notices His Fly Is Undone (2015), Cosi (2014), Noises Off (2013), Lend Me A Tenor (2012), California Suite (2011), Alphabetical Order (2009), Black Comedy and The Importance of Being Ernest.
- Music Recitals – The biannual ‘Music in the Courtyard’ concert series showcases the musical talents of our residents.
- Inter Hall Arts Shield – Johns competes against other Colleges in debating, public speaking, theatre sports, short stories, art, poetry and big band competitions.
Johns is an independent Catholic College that emphasises Christian values with a true family atmosphere. We strive to promote respect, honesty and justice in a friendly and inclusive environment.
We welcome students of all faiths although no religious affiliation is required to join the College. Johns offers students the opportunity to practise their faith in a caring and supportive environment. We are proud of our strong support network. Our trained staff and residents, along with the Catholic Chaplain and Mission & Ministry Team, are available to offer pastoral care.
Mass is celebrated in the College’s Chapel each Sunday at 10.30am and each weekday at 12.15pm. In addition, there are opportunities to improve your understanding of your faith and spirituality with a variety of other activities such as Bible Studies and a retreat.
Community service is an important part of life at Johns with the whole community getting involved in local community projects through the St. Vincent de Paul – such as Night Patrol and home visits. The College residents also help to raise funds for a variety of organisations such as Beyond Blue, Batyr. Each year there is the opportunity to be selected to participate in an immersion program to Central Australia and sometimes to an overseas site, see College Outreach Project.
The College has a limited number of employment opportunities which are open to Residents to apply for. Positions include Casual Catering Assistant, Casual Tavern Staff, Casual Office Receptionist and Casual Operations Assistant.
In addition to employed positions, the College also has a variety of paid leadership positions within the College such as Senior Residents, Academic Advisors, IT Consultants, Mission & Ministry Officers, Publicity Officers and Academic Tutors.
For more information, please contact the Business Manager at the Front Office.