Life At Johns
Life at Johns provides Spiritual, Cultural/Arts, Social, Sporting, Community Service & Employment Opportunities
Our College was founded by the Dominican Fathers in 1967, and continues to operate under their direction. John XXIII College is an independent Catholic College that emphasizes Christian values with a true family atmosphere. We strive to promote respect, honesty and justice in a friendly and inclusive environment. We welcome students of all faiths although no religious affiliation is required to join the College.
John’s offers students the opportunity to practise their faith in a caring and supportive environment. We are proud of our strong support network. Trained staff and residents, along with the Catholic Chaplain and Mission & Ministry Team, are available to offer pastoral care
Mass is celebrated in the College’s Chapel each Sunday.
Johns XXIII College provides a rich social environment for its residents encouraging them to experience life beyond their University degree through many social events including:
- Formal Dinners;
- Themed Nights;
- Café Afternoons;
- Film Nights;
- Board Game Nights;
- Music in the Courtyard;
- International Cuisine Nights;
- Annual College Ball;
- Trivia Nights;
- Inter-corridor Events;
- Evening gatherings at the Tavern for snacks, drinks and camaraderie;
- Week Long Events – O-Week, Bush Week, Multicultural Week & John’s Week;
- Senior Resident & Academic Advisor Portfolio Events (guest speakers, lectures, seminars, presentations, etc.).
John XXIII College competes against the 8 other ANU Colleges, Halls & Lodges in the Inter-Hall Sports Shield, which the college has won for the last 12 years. While Johns is therefore the premier sporting college at the ANU, its primary sporting aim is to maximize the participation and enjoyment of its residents through catering to any level of sporting ability. Johns enters both male and female teams in the following sports:
- Rugby League
- Inward Bound
- Road Relay
- Touch Football
- Table Tennis
One of the best things about life at John’s is that everyone has the opportunity to participate in anything they wish. Accomplished or not, there is an opportunity for everyone to get involved in College sports, even just as an enthusiastic supporter!
Johns prides itself on its artistic endeavours and the multi-talented nature of its residents. Each year the College participates in the following activities:
- College Play – Organised and presented each year entirely by College residents. Plays have included Leading Ladies (2018), Rumours (2017), Drop Dead (2016), Freud Notices His Fly Is Undone (2015), Cosi (2014), Noises Off (2013), Lend Me A Tenor (2012), California Suite (2011), Alphabetical Order (2009), Black Comedy and The Importance of Being Ernest.
- Music Recitals – The biannual ‘Music in the Courtyard’ concert series showcases the musical talents of our residents.
- Inter Hall Arts Shield – Johns competes against other Colleges in debating, public speaking, theatre, short stories, arts, poetry and sports competitions.
Community service is an important part of life at Johns with the whole community getting involved in local community projects or helping to raise funds for a variety of organisations such as Beyond Blue, Batyr and the College’s Domestic & International Aid Project .
The College has a limited number of employment opportunities which are open to Residents to apply for. Positions include Casual Catering Assistant, Casual Tavern Staff and Casual Operations Assistant. In addition to employed positions, the College also has a variety of honorary positions within the College such as IT Consultants, Senior Residents, Academic Advisors, Mission & Ministry Officers, Publicity Officers and Academic Tutors.
For more information, please contact the Business Manager at the Front Office.