At the architectural and spiritual heart of John XXIII College stands the St. John the Evangelist Chapel. The Chapel, with seating for 100, is set apart from the business of College for the peace and spiritual care of College’s members.
The chapel is divided into two main parts – The main or large chapel which has seating for over 100 people, is a beautiful peaceful space with fantastic acoustics, confessional booths and a large pipe organ. The organ at John XXIII College was built in 1989 by the Melbourne based firm of George Fincham & Sons (founded 1862, closed 2006). It is comprised of two manuals and pedals, with a total of 15 speaking stops. The key and stop action is mechanical, as are the inter-departmental couplers. There are a total of 736 pipes. The casework is manufactured of Tasmanian Oak, matching the Chapel’s interior furnishings. The facade pipes are of contrasting burnished copper. The Chapel’s beautifully restored vintage pipe organ is the pride of the Chapel and the College. Restored in 2012 the organ is often played by Canberran musicians and organ students, enjoying the opportunity to hear its ethereal tones.
The main chapel is only open during services or functions.
The side or small chapel is a place for quiet reflection and is open to all 24 hours per day 7 days per week to both residents and the general public.
The Chapel is available for weddings, memorial services, concerts, and other functions upon request with approval from the College Chaplain, Father Mannes Tellis.
To assist the Chaplain the College appoints the Mission & Ministry Officers to assist in liturgy throughout the year and to contribute to the College’s liturgical programmes.